In addition to testing, reviewing and recommending the best products, we may earn a small commission if you purchase through our affiliate links.
We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
Adding healthy oils to protein shakes can enhance their taste and nutrition. Cold-pressed oils like flaxseed, avocado, and coconut are great options as they retain more nutrients.
When choosing an oil, consider its nutritional value, source, flavor, and how stable it is. The best oils will have minimal processing, reputable sourcing, complementary flavors, and functional nutrition.
After evaluating these factors, some top oils for protein shakes include flaxseed oil for omega-3s, avocado oil for monounsaturated fats, and MCT oil for energy.
Why Add Oil to a Protein Shake?
As you might already know, macronutrients are an essential part of any well-balanced diet.
Along with proteins and carbohydrates, fats are one of the three main macronutrients your body needs. Adding oil to your protein shake can help you meet your macronutrient needs, specifically that of fats.
Fats play a crucial role in not only providing energy but also in maintaining satiety. By including fats in your shake, you’re ensuring that you feel fuller for a longer period of time.
The 7 Best Oils for Protein Shakes in 2023
Here are our top picks for the best oils to add to protein shakes
Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil is made by first cold pressing olives. This process retains the delicate flavor and quality of the oil.
The mild taste complements protein shakes, adding healthy fats without overpowering the flavor.
As a trusted brand since 1906, Pompeian produces certified, high-quality olive oil with a delicate flavor that blends well.
This gluten-free olive oil enhances the texture and nutrition of shakes for better health.
- First cold pressed for superior quality
- Mild and delicate flavor ideal for protein shakes and cooking
- Non-GMO and gluten-free, ensuring a healthy choice
- It may not be suitable for those who prefer a stronger taste
- Imported, potentially increasing its carbon footprint
- Some users may find it pricier compared to other options
Related Read: Can I Put Olive Oil In My Protein Shake?
Nutiva Organic Steam-Refined Coconut Oil is a healthy and versatile oil that’s steam-refined without harmful chemicals or hexane.
It has a neutral flavor and aroma, making it suitable for various recipes without overpowering flavors. It’s a great addition to vegan, paleo, and keto diets.
While it may lack the full coconut flavor due to being a refined product, this can be a plus for many recipes. The color may be slightly different, but it doesn’t affect the quality or performance of the oil.
Just keep in mind that some specific recipes may require adjustments.
- Steam-refined without chemicals or hexane
- Neutral flavor and aroma perfect for various recipes
- Suitable for multiple diets, including vegan and paleo
- Refined oil so it has less coconut taste compared to virgin coconut oil
- Color might be different than expected due to the refining process
- It might not set well for some specific recipes, like vegan chocolat
Related Read: Can You Put Coconut Oil In Protein Shake?
I’ve recently started using Spectrum Organic Canola Oil in my protein shakes and various recipes, and let me tell you – it’s been a game-changer.
The neutral taste means it never overpowers my shakes or dishes, which is fantastic when trying to maintain the intended flavors.
The Omega-3s in this oil have proven to be an excellent addition to my diet, and it’s worthwhile knowing that it’s both USDA Organic Certified and Non-GMO Project Verified.
You can trust that you’re using a high-quality oil that doesn’t compromise your health.
- Ideal for all-purpose cooking
- Neutral taste for versatile use
- Contains Omega-3s for added health benefits
- Slightly pricey
- Glass bottles might be less practical for some users
- High heat tolerance may not be necessary for all recipes
Related Read: Can You Put Canola Oil In Protein Shake?
If you are in search of an organic and vegan-friendly omega-3 supplement, Barlean’s Organic Flaxseed Oil Liquid is a fantastic option.
This cold-pressed and unrefined oil contains a balance of omegas 3, 6, and 9, offering plenty of health benefits.
The mild nutty flavor of the flaxseed oil is a pleasant addition to your salads, yogurt, or smoothies. It’s easy to blend in without compromising the taste of your shakes.
Plus, it’s derived from high-quality, non-GMO flax seeds grown in the USA and Canada, ensuring a guilt-free and environmentally friendly option for you and your family.
- Cold-pressed, pure, organic, and unrefined
- It has a Mild nutty flavor that is easy to incorporate into various shakes
- Locally grown in the USA and Canada
- Need to refrigerate after opening
- Flavor and appearance can vary
- Some users may find the bottle design inconvenient
Related Read: Can You Put Flaxseed Oil In A Protein Shake?
BUBS Naturals MCT Oil Powder provides a clean energy source for workouts and is great for keto, vegan, and paleo diets.
Derived from coconut fats, it’s low-carb and dairy-free. It blends well into protein shakes, baked goods, and hot drinks and acts as a dairy-free coffee creamer.
However, it may seem slightly pricey compared to similar products, and the packaging could be sturdier.
Nonetheless, 10% of sales go to the Glen Doherty Memorial Foundation, and it’s an excellent addition to your daily routine for a clean energy boost and improved food craving control.
- Turbocharged energy source
- Mixes easily with various foods and drinks
- Helps curb food cravings
- Slightly expensive
- Comes in a flimsy bag
- It may cause mild digestive issues for some
Related Read: Can You Put MCT Oil In Protein Shake?
Having recently tried the Healthy Harvest Non-GMO Protein Shake Oil, I must say, it’s an excellent choice for anyone looking for a quality oil to enhance their protein shakes.
Not only does it amplify the natural flavors of your shake, but it also packs a punch with essential nutrients, including antioxidants, Omega-3 fatty acids, and Vitamin E.
One of the standout features of this oil is its non-GMO status, coupled with its absence of chemicals and hydrogenation.
It’s comforting to know that what you’re adding to your shakes is both natural and beneficial, as your health and fitness goals are undoubtedly worth the best ingredients.
The oil also blends seamlessly into various shake recipes, ensuring a creamy texture and nutrient-rich drink to fuel your workouts.
- Natural, non-GMO sunflower oil with no chemicals
- Works well in turkey fryers and has a smoke point of 450 degrees
- Retains natural antioxidants, Omega-3 fatty acids, and Vitamin E
- The product may appear slightly cloudy due to not being dewaxed
- Shelf life may be shorter compared to other cooking oils
- Some users may prefer a more familiar brand
Related Read: Can You Put Sunflower Oil in Protein Shakes?
Upon trying Barlean’s Mango Peach Omega 3 Fish Oil Liquid Supplement, you’ll immediately notice the delicious mango peach flavor.
It sets itself apart from other fish oil supplements thanks to its creamy smoothie-like texture. This unique texture, although a bit thick for some, ensures the fish oil doesn’t result in any unpleasant, fishy aftertaste.
Barlean’s proprietary emulsification process helps make the omega-3s highly absorbable and easy to digest, providing a 3x better absorption rate compared to traditional supplements.
Another great aspect of this fish oil liquid is the inclusion of Vitamin D, with 1080mg EPA/DHA fatty acids per serving, supporting brain, heart, joint, and immune health.
- Delicious mango peach flavor
- 3x better absorption than traditional supplements
- Supports brain, heart, and joint health
- The texture may be too thick for some
- Needs refrigeration after opening
- Price can be a concern
Related Read: Can You Put Fish Oil in Protein Shake?
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Oil for Your Protein Shake
When it comes to picking the right oil for your protein shake, there are a few factors you should consider. Let’s dive right in!
1. Healthy Fat Content
Have you ever wondered which oil is best for your protein shake? It’s essential to choose an oil with a high content of healthy fats, like MCT oil and coconut oil.
Why, you ask? These oils contain medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which offer some fantastic benefits for your body.
MCTs provide quick energy without spiking your blood sugar levels, making them a great addition to your protein shake. They also promote protein absorption, ensuring your body gets every bit of goodness from your shake.
2. Flavor Compatibility
Have you ever wondered which oil goes best with your protein shake? It’s important to choose an oil that complements your chosen shake flavor.
Let’s explore some popular oil options and their compatibility with various protein shake flavors.
- Coconut oil enhances tropical fruit flavors like pineapple, mango, or banana.
- Avocado oil is ideal for classic vanilla and chocolate protein shakes, with a neutral taste that allows the primary flavors to shine
- Almond oil complements nutty flavors like almond or peanut butter and adds richness to your shake.
- Grapeseed oil is a versatile option with a subtle fruity taste that pairs well with berry-flavored protein shakes for those who prefer a delicate taste.
3. Quality and Nutrient-Richness
Choosing high-quality oils for your protein shake is essential to maximize the benefits and flavors.
So, what makes an oil high-quality and nutrient-rich? Let’s find out!
Extra-virgin olive oil
It’s an excellent choice for a protein shake. It’s made using a cold-press extraction process, which retains the maximum amount of nutrients and healthy fats. As a result, it’s rich in monounsaturated fats, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties.
This oil is packed with monounsaturated fats, high levels of vitamin E, and antioxidants. Plus, it has a creamy texture and subtle flavor that can enhance your protein shake.
Derived from coconut oil, MCT oil is easily digestible, providing quick energy due to its medium-chain triglycerides. It’s a popular choice among athletes and fitness enthusiasts for its benefits in weight management and mental focus.
Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, flaxseed oil is also a great source of lignans, which have antioxidant and heart-healthy properties. It’s excellent for adding a nutty flavor to your shake and boosting your omega-3 intake.
4. Quantity Recommendations
How much oil should you add to your protein shake?
Finding the ideal amount of oil to include in your shake is essential for achieving the perfect balance of nutrition and taste.
Typically, one to two tablespoons of oil is sufficient for most protein shakes. This amount provides you with a boost of healthy fats and boosts the shake’s creaminess without overpowering the flavors.
What about the calories?
It’s essential to consider the caloric content of the oil you’re adding. One tablespoon of oil typically contains around 120 calories.
To put it into perspective, if you’re adding two tablespoons of oil, that’s an additional 240 calories in your shake.
It’s important to factor this into your daily caloric intake to avoid exceeding your recommendation.
5. Allergies and Dietary Restrictions
It’s essential to consider your personal dietary needs when choosing the best oil for your protein shake. After all, you want to enjoy a tasty shake without worrying about potential allergens.
So, let’s talk about some potential allergens in certain oils. For instance, if you’re allergic to nuts, you should avoid almond oil, hazelnut oil, and walnut oil. On the other hand, if you have a soy allergy, stay away from soybean oil.
In case you have dietary restrictions for religious or ethical reasons, it’s important to check the source of the oil.
For example, if you’re a vegan, you might want to avoid animal-derived oils like fish oil. Instead, you can go for plant-based oils such as flaxseed oil or hemp seed oil.
How to Add Oil to Your Protein Shake?
Adding oil to your protein shake can be a simple and effective way to enhance its nutritional value. To do this properly, follow these easy steps:
- Choose the right oil: First, select a high-quality oil. Some popular options include flaxseed oil, coconut oil, and MCT oil. These oils are rich in healthy fats that provide energy and support overall health.
- Measure the oil: It’s important to use the appropriate amount of oil. Generally, a tablespoon is sufficient, but you may want to start with a teaspoon and gradually increase the amount according to your taste preferences and nutritional needs.
- Blend well: Adding the oil directly to your protein shake ingredients (protein powder, fruits, vegetables, milk, or water) ensures proper mixing. You can use a blender, shaker bottle, or even just a spoon to mix everything together. Blend until the oil is well incorporated, and the shake has a smooth texture.
- Enjoy immediately: For the best taste and texture, consume your shake soon after adding the oil. This ensures you’re getting the maximum nutritional benefits from it.
- Experiment with various oils to find the one that suits your taste and nutritional needs.
- Monitor how your body responds to the added oil; if you’re experiencing digestive discomfort or other negative side effects, consider adjusting the amount or using a different oil.
- Store your oil in a cool, dark place to maintain its quality and extend its shelf life.
Benefits of Using Oil in Protein Shakes
Adding oil to your protein shakes can be a great way to boost your daily nutrient intake and improve their overall taste and consistency.
But what are some of the specific benefits of using oil in protein shakes?
Let’s break it down for you.
First off, healthy oils, especially those rich in omega-3 fatty acids, can improve heart health. Incorporating these oils into your protein shake provides an extra source of nutrients that help reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and improve overall cardiovascular health.
Another benefit is an increase in overall caloric and energy intake. If you are trying to gain weight or muscle mass, using oil in your protein shakes can provide that extra caloric boost you need to reach your goals without overloading on carbohydrates or protein.
Healthy oils can also help to improve the texture and consistency of your protein shakes. Some protein shakes can be quite thick, and adding a little oil can provide a smoother, silkier mouthfeel.
Moreover, these oils can boost your immune system. Including healthy oils in your protein shakes can offer a source of essential fatty acids that contribute to a balanced, healthy diet. These fats play a significant role in maintaining proper immune function.
Lastly, adding healthy oils to your protein shakes can enhance the flavor. Oils like coconut, flaxseed, and MCT oil can provide a subtle, distinct taste to your shake, adding a layer of depth and making it a more enjoyable experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is coconut oil a good addition to protein shakes?
Yes, coconut oil can be a good addition to your protein shakes.
It is a source of healthy fats, specifically medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are easily digested and used by your body for energy.
Adding a tablespoon of coconut oil to your shake can help you feel fuller for longer and provide extra calories for those looking to gain weight.
However, be aware that coconut oil is high in saturated fats, so use it in moderation.
What benefits does MCT oil offer in protein shakes?
MCT oil, derived from coconut or palm kernel oil, is an excellent addition to protein shakes due to its potential health benefits.
As a type of medium-chain triglyceride, it is rapidly absorbed and metabolized by your body for energy rather than being stored as fat.
MCT oil can help you feel fuller for longer, making it an ideal choice for weight loss or weight maintenance shakes.
Should I add canola oil to my protein shake?
Canola oil can be a suitable addition to your protein shake, as it is rich in monounsaturated fats and a good source of omega-3 fatty acids.
These healthy fats are known to have numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammation and improving heart health.
Adding a tablespoon of canola oil to your shake can help boost its nutritional content, but be sure to incorporate other sources of healthy fats for variety.
What are the best high-calorie oils for weight gain shakes?
Some of the best options include coconut oil, MCT oil, and extra virgin olive oil.
These oils not only provide extra calories but also offer various health benefits, such as improved heart health and increased energy levels.
Aim to include a tablespoon or two of these oils in your weight-gain shakes for an added caloric boost.
When it comes to options, you may lean towards coconut oil for its distinct taste and medium-chain triglycerides (MCT).
On the other hand, if you’re looking for a heart-healthy alternative, flaxseed oil is a winner with its rich supply of omega-3 fatty acids.
If calorie count is a concern, MCT oil proves to be a lower-calorie choice while still providing an energy boost.
However, it’s worth noting that moderation and balance are key when incorporating oils into your diet.
We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.